October produced a no-drama result weather-wise nationally as Golf Playable Hours (GPH) for the month registered flat (-0.4% for the tenth-decimal crowd) vs. Year-Ago (YA) which maintained the Year-to-Date (YtD) favorability at +1%. YtD regional breadth similarly maintained its neutral position of a 1:1 ratio with a relatively balanced mix of 14 favorable regions vs. 16 unfavorables and 15 in the neutral zone (+/- 2%). Subscribers to either the Pellucid Publications Membership or the Geographic Weather Impact report get the 45 regional breakdowns, the 61 markets figures, the day-of-week weather impact and the Year-End National GPH forecast figure as well as our full commentary on the results every month.
Played Rounds for September as published by Golf Datatech were up modestly at +2% at the All Facilities level. That returned us to the pre-COVID pattern of rounds following weather when compared to our previously-reported September GPH result of +3% and produced our 5th consecutive month of Utilization gain (60%, +1 pt).
Jim Koppenhaver comments on the results, "October is usually a hold-your-breath month for weather and rounds impact as we’ve historically seen some euphoric favorability as well as manic drops so flat in October takes some of the drama out of the Q4 picture. Across the 45 weather regions, the Ohio Valley saw GPH increases of 5%+ while Florida and the SE in general had similar-level declines for the month. Looking at the October YtD weather gains/losses among the Top 25 Markets, Minneapolis and St. Louis continue as the biggest gainers (+16% GPH each) while Miami retains the distinction of the biggest loser (-14%). Looking at the September YtD Utilization leaders & laggards, Miami tops the leader board (+9 pts) followed closely by sister-market Naples (+7 pts) while Minneapolis continues as the biggest loser (-6 pts, rounds haven’t increased commensurate to their large weather gain). We haven’t yet run the October “preview” compilation of our Golf Market Research Center (GMRC) subscribers’ results for Rounds, Golf Revenue and Rate Card but, given this year’s trend, we’ll put good money on the fact that rounds will be flat-to-slightly up based on the “sideways” GPH result. In addition to knowing their weather-adjusted performance, our GMRC subscribers also have visibility into the summarized portfolio of participants and a limited number of markets to reference whether their performance is pacing, leading or lagging the GMRC portfolio universe; you could too (hint, hint)."
Speaking of the GMRC and the ability for courses to see their monthly performance in comparative reports the day the month closes, we're still offering a free 2-wk trial of the tool. We know from our visibility to the Golf Revenue numbers that courses are generally flush with cash (we've also seen all the public domain articles on renovations, massive CapEx spending etc. to corroborate) so we'd hazard a guess that the $500 investment decision isn't being hampered by lack of funds. Program participants have been able to view graphic, single page monthly trend reports for Rounds and Utilization from '19-'22 as well as having a 7 measure KPI single page report for any month and YtD period for which they entered data. The GMRC gives you visibility to your Market Profile and, after you enter your Rounds, Golf Revenue and Peak Season GF Rate by month, to immediately see your results through our comparative reports with integrated weather impact. So how do you "get in on the action"? Glad you asked...
, to subscribe (see below for benefits) and get started by inputting your information through th current month or if you'd like to engage in the 2-wk trial
If you'd like more information you have two options:
- Watch the 18 minute GoToWebinar recording of the program overview and a demonstration of the portal and reports (fill in your name and email and it will open the video link; you're not signing up for anything)
- Review the 2-pg program overview (Download Here)
Here's the details on what you get in the current promo deal:
- GMRC Market profile (golfers, supply/mix/demand balance, Utilization etc.)
- Monthly trends report (Rounds & Utilization, any month and YtD '19-'21)
- KPI Scorecard (7 KPIs for month & YtD, single page, Year Ago comparisons)
- Cognilogic (historical facility-specific Golf Playable Hours and Capacity Rounds, normally sold as separate service at $180/yr) and
- Foresight (brand new, facility-level 60-day Capacity Rounds forecast and key weather variables used to produce it, normally sold separately at $360/yr)
- National Golf Consumer Franchise Scorecard and commentary outlining the change in the size of the golfer base, the demographics (not as much additional diversity as advertised by the industry but expanding) and involvement levels (sold separately for $199)
- We think this package of services including GMRC at $500/yr ($450 for NGCOA members) is a great value and timely for assessing '21's performance and beginning your '22 planning
Final cherry-on-top, GMRC is a product in the NGCOA SmartBuy program so there's a member benefit (10% discount) for the annual subscription.